I feel like I’m repeating many others when I say that I can’t believe it’s 2012 already. But really, I can’t believe its 2012 already! Looking back at my archives, I didn’t post near the beginning of 2011; so I didn’t make a 2011 goals post. If I had, it probably would have said something like “Finish Ironman Florida”. Thankfully, I can say goal accomplished to that one.
I think, for me, heading into 2011, I was too terrified to put a lot into writing about what I wanted to accomplish during the year. It had been 7 years plus a rough pregnancy / c-section since my last Ironman race and I didn’t have a lot of confidence in myself as I jumped back into training for and racing that distance again. I was scared to lay it out there in a true “goal”.
Looking back, I would say that 2011 went very well for our whole family. Mac and I both had good years relative to our careers and also with getting our workouts in and taking better care of ourselves, Jake had a great year in both sports and academics and Sienna started several new activities along with 4 days per week of pre-school in the fall.
Looking ahead to 2012, I have high hopes. I have two races that are really important to me early in the year. Though I took some time off from swimming and cycling after IMFL, I started running again about a week after the race and then “official” training started again last week, right after Christmas. Its been a good first week – I hit all of my workouts, kept the family fed and got everything done at work. Now, I just have to string a lot more of these weeks together!
What are a few of the things I hope to accomplish during 2012?
- Always keep family first, no matter what
- Solid finishes at Oceanside 70.3 and IMTX (more on each of these later)
- Finish the SheRox Naperville sprint tri in under 1:15
- Finish the Chicago RnR Half Marathon under 2:00
- Really mean it when I say I want to eat cleaner this year
- Finally figure out nutrition when racing – I was close at IMFL, but I still need to figure a few things out. This may require a nutritionist – do any of you have suggestions for a good one?
I’m probably missing a few things on this list – more than anything I want to keep working toward achieving balance in my life and have fun on the journey.
Happy New Year!